The $150,000 Lesson That Changed Everything

 


I paid Tony Robbins $150,000 for coaching. His advice changed how I build companies.

A few years ago, I went to Tony’s Business Mastery program while I was running AppSumo.

I walked away with dozens of insights, but one has stayed with me ever since.

The Old Way

Before that experience, I believed growth came from building more.

We kept adding products, features, and people—thinking more equals better.

But each launch felt heavier than the last.

Momentum started slowing down.

One Simple Shift

Then Tony said something that completely changed my perspective:

Love your customer more than you love your product.

If you do that, you will always see where the market is going before others.

Think about it.

We have gone from cassette tapes to Walkmans to iPods to smartphones.

The customer stayed the same.

The product didn’t.

What Actually Worked

At AppSumo, every major leap came from focusing on one thing: the entrepreneur on the other side of the screen.

From selling deals to building tools to helping creators grow—we succeeded by staying obsessed with our customers.

If we had fallen in love with the product, AppSumo wouldn’t be what it is today.

That customer-first mindset helped us grow from $3M to $84M.

Your Only Asset

Every product has an expiration date.

Every business model eventually gets copied.

The only lasting asset you have is trust.

When your customer feels understood better by you than anyone else, they will follow you wherever you go next.

Three Questions

Ask yourself:

Who are you serving?
What progress do they want right now?
How can you help them get there faster and stronger?

Markets will always change.

But people will always want progress.

That’s your compass.

Stay aligned with it, and you won’t lose direction.

Conclusion

Great companies aren’t built by falling in love with products.

They’re built by obsessing over the people they serve.

When you stay focused on your customer’s progress, the next move becomes obvious.

For more insights, follow along or visit Ayman Al-Abdullah’s website.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Keeping Wrong People Kills Teams

What I Wish I Had Done Sooner as CEO